Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Rhonda in.

I knew it, I neglected to update this. 

Randomosity from a quiet morning walk on Sunday morning.

Anyway, so I've been living in Espoo, Finland, for about 4-ish days now. As to be expected, I am still pretty unfamiliar with a lot of things and the Finns do things a bit differently here than back home: There are designated bike lanes on the sidewalk and I end up walking on the wrong side 50% of the time because I am used to walking on the right side.

The road is quite narrow while the sidewalk is so wide.

The roads here are not gridded, which makes travelling a slightly anxious ordeal for me. And, oh boy, there are some looooooong escalators! Especially the ones at the city centre in the metro. I can't even look down xD but those Finns just race up and down them like nothing. I'm just a wuss probably, lol.


The orange metro, I love bench seats because of all the bums you can fit onto them.

Actually, I think this one is at Kampii and isn't as long as the escalator in the city centre station.


Onto the more pleasant discoveries:

A paper cup with collapsible ears.

This is sort of small, but I really do like how the paper cups are designed here. Little paper coffee cups all come with little flaps that can be folded out to form ears and a mug is born! It's super cute and effective especially when you have a hot drink.Collapsible ears instead of styrofoam and coffee sleeves also seems more environmentally friendly~

Kind of sparse right now!

Another thing I like are the dish drying cabinets used in Finnish households. Instead of shelves, these cabinets have drying racks so that you can immediately put your wet dishes to dry in your rack. You get to save counter-top space and time for putting your dishes away.


How devilish. 

But yeah, one thing I'll never get used to is living so close to construction. The sidewalks are all taken up and the dust is everywhere. Luckily I work during the day so I only open my windows and balcony door at night to get some fresh air without the dust billowing in. But still, walking home is pretty bad when a car rolls by and blows particulate matter at me.

Of course, I do miss home a lot. Right now, I'm happiest when I'm at work because it gives me something to think about other than home. I still catch myself subtracting 7 to figure out what time it is in Toronto. Not a good habit :( 

But that is only all the more reason for me to go out and have fun!!! Tomorrow (the 24th) is Night of Arts in Helsinki and I will definitely try to go and have my mind blown.



... and out. 




No comments:

Post a Comment