Saturday, August 25, 2012

Night of Arts and more of Kamppi

Kamppi is a neighbourhood in the centre of Helsinki. Swedish is the second official language of Finland and Kamppi derives from the Swedish Kampen which means battle. I've visited Kamppi a few times and it's always full of hustle and bustle with people busy with their day in the mall and outside on the streets. 

I went to Night of Arts on Thursday night but I didn't end up seeing much (typical Rhonda) because I didn't want to stray too far from the bus terminal and people I wanted to meet up with were busy. I really only got to see two exhibits from the whole festival, a bit of a shame really cause I'm sure there must have been a lot organised. I'm sure I'll get to see more later when I get more familiar with my surroundings, but it was nice to be able to simply leave my flat and look at things to distract me from missing home too much. 


A tent-thing made out of plastic bags. I think it would have been more impressive from the inside but the exhibit was closed when I approached it. Ahh.. hahaha... yeah. 


A woolen police car.



I don't think this is an exhibit, but I thought it looked really cool.  A 3-D rendition of that famous impossible cube.


Close-up!

A stylish garbage can.

Mannerheim (1867-1951) was very involved with the Finnish military and also was the 6th president of Finland. There is also a street named after him: Mannerheimintie. (-intie is the suffix for streets, there is also another one, but I can't remember right now)

A giant fish sculpture by the Music Centre. I thought it looked really nice. 

So not all public washrooms here are free for use. The other day, I saw a washroom that costed 1 euro to use and so I was not at all surprised to see a man take a leak in the tunnel I was crossing, haha. And yeah, I didn't take a photo of that...

Then on Saturday we decided to return to Kamppi to get some supplies for home. And there we found a really cute store called Tiger (hailing from Denmark) that sells a variety of products that range from stationary to cookware (sort of like One's Better Living for those who know it). And of course, we had to get some stuff:

Cleaning with love <3

These are pens :D

Should have taken it next to a reference, but it's really big and heavy. I'm planning to use it on....

This mistake from dragging my luggage on the ground :(

Speaking of weird floor markings... I found this under my bed.


And back to what I got. Making the wearer feel like a sir!

Plastic bags here are VERY EXPENSIVE.. they're around 0.20 cents a piece so I got a reusable bag.

A Gru nose. For... Gru times, yes.

My beautiful trash basket made from recycled Chinese flyers.  


And I guess you can tell that I am still as disorganised in my room as always. Home, sweet home, indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment